Friday, May 24, 2013

Run, Run, Run and...Tape?

So according to my snazzy title, today's post will be about running and this "new to me" concept of taping to prevent injuries. Am I the last person in the world to know about this? Am I the only person who doesn't have the slightest idea what this is? Well today you get to walk through this with me as I research and figure out what and how we are supposed to be taping to prevent injuries on runs. I have the worst problem with shin splints after a long run. So I am looking for a way to help with the pain and prevent it as I run.
First, what exactly is it? Well...Kinesio Tex Tape is the name. The use is for relieving pain from injuries (I will explain further no worries.) It is used by non-athletes and athletes for all sorts of reasons. What it does: "the Kinesio Tape pulls the upper layers of skin, creating more space between the dermis and the muscle. The space created is believed to relieve pressure on the lymph channels in the area between the muscle and the dermis, creating more space for lymph flow and thus better lymph drainage through an affected area."
Source

"The end results are believed to be reduced muscle fatigue, increase in range of motion, and better quality of muscle contraction."

Ok so what I have learned so far. Put this tape on your skin in a certain manner and your muscle pain has subsided and you have increased performance. So unlike ordinary taping methods that only stabilize, Kinesio Tex Tape actually supports the muscle and improves the circulation around a sore or injured area. This is def. something I am willing to try but how exactly do you use it? How do you put it on? I will post a few links to websites that walk you through how to tape. It doesn't seem that hard and isn't expensive at all.
http://pinterest.com/mirandamjohnson/kinesio-taping/ (here is a pinterest board with post for how to tape.)
http://www.livestrong.com/article/40588-use-kinesio-tape/ (here are basic instructions for how to apply the tape and keep it on.)
It last 3-5 days and comes in waterproof so you can shower, swim and work up a sweat while using the tape. And it comes in pretty colors like pink and blue!
So for a review, use this stuff to make you feel better and increase your performance. :)
**I was not asked to provide this information, I just really wanted to know what it was about and I will be trying it. As soon as I do, I will post my results and review. Again, this was for my need-to-know basis! And I'm not a doctor and I just googled and found all this stuff!**

Question of the day: Have you ever tried the taping method before? Did it work? Where did you use it?

Yesterday we recieved some news that is still sinking in with me. I am still trying to digest it all and form a plan of action. So if you could just send a prayer and good luck my way! :D Thank you! Have a great memorial day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment