Thursday, May 30, 2013

Let's talk about cheating


Ok. I know what y'all are all thinking but I'm talking about eating and your diet. :D got your attention didn't I? 
If you follow me in twitter, and you should (@Justaskinnybtch) you will see all the other fitness accounts that I follow. Some of these accounts will tweet about "cheat days" or "cheat meals." I dislike this word. Cheating is such a negative word, why are we using it to describe the cookie we are yesterday? 
In my opinion, and I'm not a food expert, putting any food into that negative category will just cause more problems! If you look at those same accounts that talk about "cheating" on their diets are also the ones that talk about binging. And binging is just a horrible cycle that never ends if seems!! I've been there. My biggest downfall when I began this new lifestyle was counting calories. I had just began introducing healthy foods into my system so I was still eating unhealthy, high calorie foods. So what does that mean you may ask?! Well that means my allotted 1200 calories a day was used up within the first 4 hours! Then it was a battle between going over my calories and not starving. The end result?After the   kids went to bed I would easily put away another 1000 calories in 30 minutes. AKA binge!! It was awful and it happened more than once a week. It was a vicious cycle and I finally said enough. This was when I knew how to incorporate healthy foods and figured out what the word moderation meant! And the best thing I did was stop counting calories and eat healthy food when I'm hungry. Along the way you figure out emotional eating and control that and I have made it to the point where temptations don't phase me. Doughnuts in the break room? I don't even want it!! The apple I brought from home is so much more appealing. It all takes time and practice! Practice makes it easier and makes you stronger! It can happen and it will happen as long as you stick to it. 
And eat the cookie. If you want it and you're not eating your emotions, eat it! Moderation is key and I love a treat every now and then. And it def keeps the binges away. I'm pretty sure I haven't had one in 6 months, I just eat when I'm hungry and I know the Brussels sprouts are better for me to snack on the chips. Ah this amazing lifestyle...I wouldn't have it any other way!! 

Question of the day: what milestone have you made in your fitness journey that makes you to most proud? 


No comments:

Post a Comment