Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday Eats

Happy Happy Friday!
 
 
 
I love Friday's. It's leg day at the gym because it is empty on Friday nights so I have free reign to push my hardest with no interruptions. Tomorrow I have a lunch date with my best friend Katie. We are going to get our nails done, get a surprise present for Jeremy, and then go eat lunch at Olive Garden. It will be a well deserved splurge day of salad and pasta and LOTS of peach tea.
Today of course is my usual clean eating. I had oatmeal for breakfast. This weekend for prep day, I made a mix of cantaloupe, strawberries, and blueberries and I have been LOVING it! Melon season is my favorite and I will be doing it again this weekend.
For lunch I am having my leftovers and a salad with cucumbers, green peppers, mushroom and walnuts. If you ever get tired of your veggie salad add some nuts. It brings a new flavor to the salad and I think it makes it less boring.
I made the kids a quick and easy chicken bake and it turned out amazing. Took me less than 15 minutes to assemble. So for a quick and easy meal loaded with veggies that the kids will love, use this easy and versatile go-to recipe. (recipe below.)
Afternoon snack will be a Clif Builders Protein Bar in Mint Chocolate. I know I need to stop procrastinating and make my own homemade bars but I love these Clif bars. It feels like a cheat (plus you can get 18 bars for $18.00 at Sam's Club so it's a steal.)
I haven't figured out supper yet. Which is unusual. I will figure it out though. :)


Here is the recipe for my "Chicken Vegetable Bake"
(And when I bake there are generally no precise measurements; I use my grandmas eyeball-it method)
 
1 lb ground chicken.
1 egg
Any veggies in the freezer or pantry. I used 1/2 bag of frozen corn, 1/4 bag frozen peas, a can of cooked, sliced carrots and some fresh chopped bell pepper.
Vegetable broth
Italian seasoning
Salt
Pepper
Flour
Bisquick
Soy milk (I used vanilla soy milk because I was out of regular but it turned out PERFECT.)
Garlic
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
 
 
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Heat the olive oil in a pan.
  • Dice garlic into small pieces and add to the heated oil.
  • Add ground chicken.
  • Brown the chicken and add your veggies.
  • Let the veggies cook a little and then add about 1/3 cup of broth into the pan.
  • Sprinkle 2 TBS of all-purpose flour into the pan and stir. This will thicken the broth.
  • Add the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • In an ungreased 8x8 pan, pour the veggie mixture.
  • In a separate bowl, add 1 egg and soy milk to 3 cups of Bisquick. Mix in soy milk until it forms a dough.
  • Place scoops of the dough onto the vegetable mixture.
  • Place in the over for 30 minutes and viola! Simple, fast and my kids give it 2 thumbs up.
 
If only I could get my recipe page to work and function properly I would put this recipe there. Sadly, I have yet to figure it out.
 
Have a GREAT Friday! If you try the recipe, feel free to comment with your modifications.
 
Question of the day: What is your favorite way to cook quinoa? I need some suggestions :)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment