Thursday, July 18, 2013

And We Have A Solution!

Finally, after weeks of agony and the unknown, yesterday's endoscopy gave me the result I so desperately needed. Turns out I have erosive gastritis.The link will explain it better than I can, but basically my stomach in inflammed big time and eroded. Why? I have no idea. One of the reason is the use of aspirin or aspirin containing medicine. I take an aspirin every day but I would hate to think my doctor would tell me to do something that would put me at an even bigger risk. Pernicious anemia makes a little more sense to me because I am anemic but I will know the results of the biopsy tomorrow. Hopefully there is no infection and the medicine I have to take for the next 3 months will clear it up! I'm just so glad we found an answer and even though it's not something to get excited about, it's what I needed. I feel like a huge weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. Plus, the sedative they gave me pretty much knocked me out all day. I was awake for about 6 hours yesterday so I am well rested today.
So today I wanted to go over my training schedule for my 10K in September. Tuesday I ran almost 3 miles in 34 minutes (bad mile time!) The humidity that has engulfed the US makes it feel like I'm trudging through peanut butter to get my runs in.
I was sweating like never before but it felt great! It was like a detox and I tried not to beat myself up over the time. I have to keep telling myself that I am still sick and I will be for a while. Yesterday I went out for another run, this time to go get my car from my doctors office. It was a great way to sneak in a run and killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Yes I could have gotten a ride but why not run? I made it to my car in 36 minutes in 2.27 miles. Again, not the best mile time but I was just happy to have been out there trying. As for my training, I'm looking at running 5 days a week, increasing my miles through the week. I realized on my Tuesday run that after about mile 1.5, running constant becomes easier. So my plan for the beginning of the race is to do a mile and 1/2 warm up before actually running. Does anyone else feel like they get stronger after warming up? Is a 1 1/2 mile too far to "warm-up?" So I plan on getting 5 miles in today and then 6 miles in tomorrow. Until I get my new pair of runner, I will be going back to my old reliable shoes. The new Nike's will only cause injuries that I don't feel like dealing with. I am also going to invest in a pair of compression socks and practice run with them to see if they make any difference.
So recap, up until the week of the race I am going to be running about 22 miles a week. This may increase depending on my mood and the weather. On Mondays and Tuesdays, I may increase from 3 miles if I'm really feeling it. My goal is to finish the 10K in under 1:10; maybe even under an hour! (A girl can dream, right?)

This says it perfectly! Anytime I am feeling bad about my time I will look at this and remember as runners we are all in this together. We all have the same purpose, to get to the finish. And whether you reach the end in 30 minutes or 2 hours, we all have the same goal!! And the fact that we are all out there doing this crazy thing called running, should be pride enough!
 
More running quotes just to boost my motivation and hopefully motivate you, my lovely readers!!

 


 
 
Question of the day: Send me your motivation. What makes you get up and go at 5AM or when you don't feel like running in the 100 degree humidity? What makes you get out and go?

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment